I love holidays and when we go to another country its nice to bring a taste of holiday home. When we went to Thailand with the kids we found some delicious little toasted coconut treats. They were polished off rather quickly by everyone. Here are my version with added black sesame seeds for a little calcium boost.
INGREDIENTS (makes 20 small balls)
- 120g desiccated coconut (if you don't have the finely chopped coconut, blitz up the one you have for a couple of seconds in a blender)
- 4 Tbs Rice Malt Syrup
- 2 Tbs coconut butter
- 1 Tbs black sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- Place the coconut in a flat pan and lightly toast
- Add in the rice malt syrup, salt, coconut oil and coconut butter
- Stir continuously until the mix begins to look a little toasted and gets caramelised. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and wait until cool enough to handle.
- Roll into balls and place in the fridge to set.
These have no nuts so suitable for school treats too.