I love beetroot for its colour, it's fabulous nutrients, and the fact I can hide it in a chocolate cake. Beetroot is full of vitamin B and C, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, fiber, folic acid, iron and is traditionally known as a blood cleanser. New research also states that the dietary nitrate in beetroot juice has a role in lowering blood pressure. Another reason to sneak this vegetable into your diet.
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup roasted beetroot pureed
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk (any nut milk is okay)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (or 2 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup water)
Roasting the beetroot
- Heat oven to 180C
- Wrap each beetroot in aluminum foil
- Bake for 90 minutes
- Allow to cool in the wrapper
- When required unwrap and rub the skin off the beetroot. You will definitely need to wash your hands throughly after cleaning, or wear gloves to avoid staining your hands.
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix
- Add in all wet ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour into muffin trays for individual cakes
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 180C or until firm
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and stacking
Decadent and delicious!