It's cold here and I have an obsession with warm drinks! A few weeks ago I tried a Turmeric Latte at Nature's Harvest in Cottesloe and I loved it!!! They also make an amazing Acai Bowl (or Acai Bomb as my mum calls them!).
So I have taken to making my own burst of sunshine in a cup at home. An added advantage with this drink is the soothing, anti inflammatory action of the curcuminoids in the turmeric. The increasing research on Turmeric and in particular the cucumin component gives this spice the thumbs up for helping with pain relief, arthritis, inflammation, improving brain function and even helping with depression. So include it whenever you can.
It's easy to make too. If you choose raw turmeric here's a little tip - if you chew on raw turmeric bits it has a tendency to make your teeth look stained - rest assured the only side effect is a stained toothbrush!! I have done this many times and my teeth are still great.
INGREDIENTS (1 serve)
- 1 cup nut milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp organic turmeric powder (or grate 1.5cm fresh)
- 1/4 tsp organic vanilla powder
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1-2 tsp rice malt syrup (or raw honey)
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer for 1 minute
- Strain and serve, topped with additional cinnamon.
I did half the nut milk in a pan to warm the spices and the other half in a milk frother to get the fluffy top!