Everyone loves a chocolate treat and these ones are perfectly chewy and suitable for the school lunch box. They remind me of the Afghan Cookies I ate at a late night cafe in Subiaco many, many years ago (the kids from my vintage will remember Oriels)!
These cookies are wheat free, a little crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Give them a try and let me know how you go!
- 3/4 cup (100g) Oat flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) Buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) cacao powder
- 2 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup (70g) shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 banana mashed
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 1 Tbs raw cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix till combined
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix till combined
- Roll the mixture into balls and place on a oven tray (I use baking paper to stop them sticking)
- press the balls flat
- Bake for 25 mins in a 180C oven
- Remove and cool completely before adding the chocolate topping
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping in a bowl until smooth. Heat slightly to make really runny
- Drizzle over the top of cooled cookies and allow to harden (may need to go in the fridge to harden quickly).
To be totally school safe replace the hazelnut with a goji berry or a seed of your choice.