I have been thinking of things to add into my breakfast menu that are easy, tasty and that the kids will agree to eat. I'm a little over pancakes - the kids clearly aren't as they have been on high rotation!
I saw a recipe for making a baked version of oats with carrot and topped with nuts for a yummy crunch. It was a little involved so I simplified it for me and it was amazing!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 2 cups rolled oats (organic gluten free if available)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (you can have less if its too much spice)
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds chopped (leave out if the kids don't like the texture)
- 3 cups nut milk (I used cashew nut milk)
- 2 medjool dates chopped
- 2 Tbs coconut cream (optional - it makes the oats even creamier)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbs rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
- Mix together the ingredients and leave to soak overnight in the fridge. This helps to improve the digestibility of the oats.
- In the morning either divide the mixture into individual bowls or leave in one oven proof pot.
- Mix together the topping ingredients in a bowl and then spread over the top
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 C for 20 mins, or until the oats are bubbling and the top is crunchy.
Remove from the oven and serve warm.