This salad was inspired by Helen Padarin from Nourish-ed on the Paleo Way Cooking Tour. The salad Helen and Pete Evans made was very similar - I just added in a few more bits that I had in the kitchen. Very simple, filling and perfect to make for dinner and have extra for lunch the next day.
INGREDIENTS (serves 3)
- 1/2 red cabbage finely sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb finely sliced
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados mashed
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2/4 cup shredded chicken (leftovers from our Sunday roast)
- 3/4 cup roasted pumpkin cubes (left overs from Sunday roast)
- 1/2 tsp flaked chili (optional)
- Herbamare to taste
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- Place the cabbage, fennel, chicken, lemon juice and avocado into a bowl and mix through until the cabbage and fennel are totally coated by the avocado mash.
- Fold through the roasted pumpkin
- Sprinkle over the chilli and the Herbamare
- Garnish with some of the fennel leaves and the crushed walnuts to serve.
This simple meal is full of healthy fats, protein and fibre. Try mixing through some mustard or horseradish for a twist.