A few weeks ago a friend mentioned that she had an amazing breakfast that cured her hangover. Black rice cooked in coconut milk! Now, I'm not sure how it fixed up her hangover but it did sound delicious. I picked up a bag of Forbidden Black Rice from the health foodstore today and decided it was time to try it out..... without the hangover!
Black rice has an amazing nutty taste and firm texture. It is full of anthocyanin antioxidants, fibre and vitamin E. A 100g serving has 8.5g of protein, 3.5mg of iron and 4.9g of fibre. Team it up coconut milk for the healthy fats and its a very filling meal.
INGREDIENTS (make 2-3 serves)
- 1 cup of Forbidden Black Rice
- 1 400g can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8th tsp vanilla powder
- Place all the ingredients into a pot and bring to the boil
- Reduce and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed
- Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes
Serve with cashew nuts, or mango and berries for a decadent breakfast.