I love my coffee, the smell, the taste, the whole ritual of brewing up a cup, but I do know when it's time to take a break from the dark brew. Too much is never good for the adrenals.
On my recent cleanses I have empathised with my clients as they worked to give up the coffee. Some of them had no problem, others found it a real challenge. Something I found to get through the cravings and really satisfying was Crio Bru.
This amazing drink is roasted cacao beans, 100% beans with no sugar, no chemicals, no sugar and high in antioxidants. It gives you a boost from the Theobromine in the beans, which is similar to caffeine without the jittery result.
There are lots of different blends of Crio Bru, from the chili infused Maya, to the Cavalla with coconut and cinnamon and the Cocoa River with green banana and blackberries. My favourite is the Maya and chili - especially if its cold outside.
I brew mine up in the Thermomix - although you can use a french press, but I find the Thermomix results in a really rich and creamy brew.
- 50g in the bowl with 800g water
- Blend at 90C degrees speed 2 for 10 minutes
- Increase speed to 8 for 20 seconds
- Strain the cacao and serve with either nut milk of choice, coconut cream or drink plain.
- Add 1 Tbs per cup of water to press
- Add boiling water (aim for about 95C)
- Steep for at least 7-8 minutes and then press slowly (if you do this too quickly the brew will spurt everywhere - I found this out the hard way!)
- Serve with either milk, nut milk or a sweetener if desired
If you are feeling a bit adventurous try using the Crio Bru in place of the coffee in my version of a Bulletproof coffee. Simply add the strained brew back into the thermomix (or a blender) and add in a tablespoon of coconut oil, a tablespoon of nut butter you can add in some grass fed butter too but I find this is enough for me.
Blend on high for 5 seconds and then enjoy. A very filling blend!
You can find Crio Bru in many health foods stores or online .