My husband always says I'm a little crackers - I think I'm pretty normal.... most of the time! What I am crackers about are making my own crackers. I have been using a fantastic recipe from Natural New Age Mum for ages and decided to try something different. There are plenty of versions around and you can make up whatever you like.
Apart from the cost saving of making your own, I love the fact that I know exactly what is in these crackers. Some of the ones from the shops are full of rancid oils, preservatives and artificial flavours.
These ones have an added bonus of vegetables. I'm always looking to get more veggies into the kids and they can't taste this one! I'm planning a red capsicum version next - will let you all know how they turn out.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp Herbamare
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Puree the zucchini and the water together till completely smooth
- Add all the other ingredients into a large bowl and pour the pureed zucchini and water over the top, mix completely until it starts to get thick and sticky
- Line your baking/drying trays with baking paper
- Spread the mixture thinly over oven trays (or the dehydrator trays)
- Preheat the oven to 120C and cook for about 3 hours (or until crunchy) You can flip them half way through, but be careful if they are delicate. Once cooked you can cut them up or just break up with your hands.
- If you are using a dehydrator, I did them for about 5 hours on medium heat and they came out perfectly!
Top your crackers with something yummy like hommus, avocado, tomatoes and some raw kimchi for a very yummy lunch. Or just have them as they are.
Hope you like them as much as we all do.