Keeping the food shopping bill under control can be challenging, especially if you are choosing organic produce. Apart from shopping for produce in season - food is always cheaper when it's in season, I also look for specials. This week I spotted organic beef on special so I grabbed a couple for the freezer. One of my favourite family friendly meals with mince is meatballs. This recipe is also a great way to hide vegetables from the kids.
- 500g organic mince
- 400g can of crushed tomato
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 300g broccoli finely chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- approx. 2 cups cooked quinoa (I had some leftover in the freezer)
- 1/4 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs vegetable stock concentrate from the Thermomix Every Day Cookbook
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine the mince, herbs, garlic, onion, carrot, broccoli, egg, quinoa, stock and coconut flour in a bowl and mix throughly. Use your hands to mix - rather therapeutic! I used the Thermomix to finely chop all the vegetables to 'hide' them. Speed 7 for 4 Seconds.
- Form the meatballs in the size you want. I made about 20 large balls, and layer them in a heavy based pot, lightly oiled with the olive oil.
- Pour the can of tomato over the meatballs, add the water into the can and swirl around the left over tomato and add to the pot.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with extra steamed broccoli and raw zucchini noodles.
- Makes enough for 6-8 serves
Both kids polished them off and never realised they were full of vegetables. If you want more sauce add another can of tomatoes and season to taste.