Maintaining balance is so important in daily life, and balance in the body is essential. One of the key elements to health is a balanced internal pH, or acidity. pH stands for power of hydrogen, it is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in the body. The pH scale is from 1 to 14, with 7 is neutral and a reading than 7 is acidic. A pH greater than 7 are alkaline. The ideal pH range is slightly alkaline - 7.35 to 7.45. 1
When the digestive system breaks down foods into their various nutrients, it can leave behind an acidic or alkaline ash. An alkaline ash may contain calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron. An acidic ash may contain chloride phosphorus, iodine or sulphur. All of these elements need to be neutralised and excreted from the body.
The body has buffer systems in place, mainly through the lungs and kidneys. However when there is an excess of acid forming foods and drinks in the system and the inability to detoxify these from the body a disease state may occur. 2
Some conditions that have been linked to pH imbalances include acne, low energy, bloating, heartburn, compromised immune function, arthritis, gout, migraines, cancer, kidney stones, allergies and long-term issues with bone density. This is due to the body using the calcium in the bones to buffer acidic blood.
Modern lifestyles and diet promote a more acidic system. From the processed foods we eat, to the increasing levels of stress in daily life. We need to find ways to bring ourselves back to balance.
So how do you know if you are too acidic? An easy way to test pH is through urine testing. A healthy urine test should be between 6.0-6.5 pH in the morning and 6.5-7.0 pH in the evening. Tests are available in health food stores or chemist.
How to maintain a good balance?
- Reduce stress
- Exercise is good but, excessive exercise is detrimental
- Reduce caffeine, alcohol, processed foods, excessive salt, sugar, soft drinks and artificial sweeteners
- Keep hydrated with filtered water - it has a neutral pH
- Increase the consumption of alkaline foods including, alfalfa, almonds, avocado, grapefruit, kelp, kiwifruit, wheatgrass, parsley, cucumber, lemon, broccoli, sweet potato, ginger, garlic, cauliflower, cabbage just to name a few
- Reduce acid forming foods to keep in balance include, bacon, bread, eggs, soy, yoghurt, rye, white wheat flour, malt, prawns.
- Try to stick to 80% alkaline foods to 20% acid forming foods. This way you can maintain a good balance without depravation.
Adding in a good 'green' supplement such as Nutraorganics Super Greens & Reds or Vital Greens is also very alkalising for you body and beneficial for your health. If you struggle to stick to a list, by simply maintaining a diet full of fresh vegetables and fruits and using daily relaxation tools this will steer you on a path of balance.
Quick reference guide to eating foods that are alkaline in the body:
Note: This is not a sponsored post and all opinions are my own.